Algeria is playable from January 1st, 1510 to July 5th, 1830 and July 3rd, 1962 to the present day. Algeria borders Morocco, Tunisia, Libya, Mali and Mauritania. Algeria gained its independence in 1962 after a war against France.
From 1516 to 1830, Algeria was partially controlled by the Ottoman Empire. Algeria, along with other North African states, became known as the Barbary States after the Berber ethnicity. Pirates sponsored by them captured ships and at least 1 million European slaves. This continued largely uncontested because of various wars keeping Europe busy, until the First Barbary War between the United States and the Barbary States. This, the bombardment of Algiers by the British in 1816, and the colonization of Algeria by the French in 1830 spelled doom for Algeria.
It would be over 130 years until Algeria gained independence from France, after a bloody war resulting in over 500000 deaths and an exodus of almost a million Europeans. By the 1990s, Algeria, whose economy had experienced hardships as the result of low oil prices, was engaged in a civil war with Islamic extremists. The Algerian government won the war in 2002, and has mostly forced the extremists out of the country.
In 2016, Algeria borders Morocco, Tunisia, Libya, Mali, and Mauritania.
Form Algeria Edit
- Primary culture is Algerian or
- Primary culture is Berber and capital is in the Algiers, Kabylia, or the North Sahara areas
- Is not:
- Algeria does not exist
- Owns Cores on Algiers (338) and Dahra (2576) or
- Owns Cores on Tlemcen (336) and Kabylia (339)
- Is not a subject nation
- Is not a nomad nation
- At peace
- Country changes to Algeria
- Gain25 Prestige
- Change primary culture to Algerian
- If a member of the HRE and not an elector or the emperor, all own provinces are removed from the HRE.
- If government is Tribal, then government changes to Despotic Monarchy
- Set government rank to Kingdom, if not higher tier
- Capital moves to Algiers (338)
- Gain a permanent claim on the Algiers, Kabylia, and the North Sahara areas.
- Get the event New Traditions & Ambitions.
Berber Ideas and Traditions Edit
- +50% Hostile Core-Creation Cost on Us
- Barbary Pirates: +25% Naval Force Limit Modifier
- Desert Warfare: +1 Attrition for Enemies
- Trans-Saharan Trade: +10% Trade Efficiency & +10% Caravan Power
- Corsairs: +1 Yearly Navy Tradition & 10% Privateer Efficiency
- Tuareg Cavalry: +10% Cavalry Combat Ability & +10% Looting Speed
- Dual Diplomacy: +1 Diplomatic Relations
- The Brothers Barbarossa: +20% Galley Combat Ability
- +10% Global Trade Power