General Information Edit
Bulgaria first appears in 469 located on the steppes of modern day Russia. After the split and collapse of the Roman Empire, the Bulgarians move into the Balkans (Thrace) after a successful war against the Byzantine Empire in 680; thus establishing the modern Bulgarian homeland. Bulgaria and Byzantium will fight back and forth over Thrace for centuries until Ottoman conquest of Bulgaria (1396) and Byzantium (1453). After centuries of Ottoman rule, Bulgaria finally gains its independence in 1878.
During the First World War, Bulgaria was a part of the Central Powers ( Germany, Austria-Hungary, Turkey, and Bulgaria) and entered the war on 14 October 1915 against the Allied Powers. Later during the Second World War, Bulgaria remained neutral until the country joined the Axis (1941-1944). After Bulgaria's defeat on 9 September 1944, the Soviet Union replaced the government with a Communist Dictatorship, which then led to Bulgaria joining the Allies (Comintern) for the remainder of the war in 1945.
Although annexed by the USSR, Bulgaria became a satellite state of the Soviets and was apart of the Eastern Bloc during Cold War until August 1, 1990. Unlike many other nations' violent revolutions towards democracy, Bulgaria had a relatively peaceful and civil transition to democracy when the Communist leader Petar Mladenov officially ended single-party rule and allowed free and open elections. Bulgaria later joined the European Union in 2007.
When starting from the Present Day start, bordering Romania, Greece, Serbia, Macedonia, and Turkey, you have many different paths for expansion. Allying with Russia should be your top priority as they will be the main force behind your initial conquests. Macedonia makes for an easy target as they are small and have little to no army (or allies, for that matter). Expanding towards Istanbul and the rest of Turkey opens up a huge area for expansion in the Middle East.
- Primary culture is in South Slavic group
- Is not the:
- Yugoslavia does not exist
- Has an administration technology of at least level 76
- Is not a subject nation
- Is not at war
- Owns the core provinces: Serbia (141), Raska (1827), Zeta (138), Bosnia (140), Zagreb (131), Lika (1826), Hum (139), Dalmatia (136), Donji Kraji (1828)
- Country changes to Yugoslavia
- Gain25 Prestige
- Random province in the South Slavic group
- Gain 1 Base Tax
- Gain country modifier Increased Centralization for 20 years:
Bulgarian Ideas and Traditions Edit
- +1 Merchants
- −10% Core-Creation Cost
- Confirm The Bulgarian Boyars: −10% Stability Cost Modifier
- Root Out the Heresies: +2% Missionary Strength vs. Heretics
- Unity Before Feuds: −1 National Unrest
- Reform The Army: −10% Infantry Cost
- Reform The Bulgarian Church: +1 Yearly Prestige
- Military Flexibility: +10% Morale of Armies
- Third Rome: +1 Yearly Legitimacy
- +15% Infantry Combat Ability