The Netherlands starts off in an interesting position in Europe. You only border 2 countries: Germany and Belgium. Try to seek an alliance with France, Poland, Great Britain, and possible Germany if the Germans are friendly towards you.
The European RouteEdit
This strategy is tricky because it will not work unless The Netherlands leaves or certain countries leave the European Union.
Immediately rival and start fabricating on Belgium from day one. They are going to be your first route of expanding into Europe. You are going to want to ally France or Germany in order to crush Belgium and his allies. If Belgium allies with Germany or France, you might want to restart because you will not be able to defeat either the Germans or the French by yourself. Once Belgium has been dealt with, your next target is Luxembourg. Luxembourg is extremely easy to annex because they will have almost no military or allies. From this point onward, expansion can be a bit tricky. Backstabbing France or Germany when the two are severely weakened from fighting a war against either each other, or against other European nations, is the way to go. When that happens, launch your aggressive Dutch surprise attack against them.
The Caribbean/South American RouteEdit
As the Netherlands, you actually control three islands in the Caribbean: Aruba, Curaçao, and Sint Maarten. You can use this to your advantage by fabricating and easily annexing the Caribbean OPM's, as well as fabricating on Venezuela. Securing an alliance with Brazil will not only be easy (they are almost always Friendly towards the Dutch), but the Brazilians will make your South American conquests much easier than expanding by yourself.
Form Netherlands Edit
- This country:
- Primary Culture is Dutch or
- Primary Culture is Flemish or
- Is Burgundy
- Is not:
- Netherlands does not exist
- Administrative Technology is at least 55
- Is not a subject nation
- Is not a nomad nation
- At Peace
- Owns cores on:
- Breda (95)
- Zeeland (96)
- Holland (97)
- Utrecht (98)
- Gelre (99)
- Friesland (100)
- Country changes to Netherlands
- If Burgundy, then:
- Change primary culture to Dutch
- Capital moves to Amsterdam (97)
- Cede all provinces in the French region to France
- Set government rank to Kingdom, if not higher tier
- If an HRE member and not an elector or emperor, leave the empire.
- Gain gain a permanent claim on the Low Countries and Picardy regions.
- Gain 25 prestige.
- Gain Dutch Ideas & Ambitions
Dutch Ideas and Traditions Edit
- +50% Naval Force Limit Modifier
- -10% Shipbuilding Time
- Found the Amsterdam Wisselbank: +0.10 Yearly Inflation Reduction
- Dutch Trading Spirit: +1 Merchants & +10% Trade Range
- Polders: -10% Development Cost
- Instructie voor de Admiraliteiten: +2 Naval Leader Fire
- Embrace Humanism: +3 Tolerance of Heretics
- Army Sappers: +10% Siege Ability
- Platoon Fire: +10% Infantry Combat Ability
- +15% Trade Efficiency